Wednesday 29 July 2009

Quest Seekers

One of my tasks is to work in a library. I want to do an MA in Information and Library Management which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a librarian and then when I was doing my A-Levels I decided that in fact I would become a youthworker instead! I did my degree in youth work and spent a few years doing full time youthwork until I then came out of that and got the job I do now which is working in a university doing admin. I enjoyed being a youth worker but decided I wanted a more 9 to 5 job which is what I love about the job I do now. Anyway I now feel that it is time to start working towards my dream of being a librarian!

It is my aim to be well on the road to doing the MA by the time I am 30. I have never had any experience working in a library except for one day in the university one a few months ago (which i loved!). So I am planning on doing some voluntary work in libraries while looking out for a job in a library before then applying for the MA. There are a couple of ways of getting onto the MA. One is just having some work experience in libraries and another is to actually do a graduate job in a library which is applying for people wanting to do the MA. Either way I need the experience!

Today I did my first volunteering stint in Winchester library. They are currently doing a holiday reading quest where the aim is for children to read 6 books over their school holidays. As a volunteer it is my job to speak to the children as they bring back their books about what they enjoyed or didn't enjoy about the book and then give them a sticker for their Quest Seeker poster until they have got all six. I am going to be working just 2 hours every Wednesday morning which is perfect for me. I really enjoyed the 2 hours and they flew by.

The task of working in a library means to work more than just these two hours so I will NOT be ticking it off! Maybe in a years time when I have been doing regular hours and have a regular voluntary post if not a paid on I will be satisfied with having achieved that post but for now I will be enjoying my time in Winchester Library!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, glad it went well hon and you sound really positive about it. Here is to many more voluntary opportunities within the library. Enjoy your time doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a good start and with any luck you might pick up some more volunteer hours which will stand you in good stead for doing the MA!

    ReplyDelete