Sunday 2 August 2009

The Island


Last month I read The Island by Victoria Hislop. It was an amazing book set in the 50s on an island just off Crete. This Island was a place where anyone with leprosy was shipped off to the island so that you couldn't contaminate anything else. A cure was found and eventually the people were let of the island. It is definitely a book worth reading if you get the opportunity.

The reason I'm posting about The Island is that it has helped me choose my charity for this month. At the back of the book there was a little blurb about www.lepra.org.uk. This is a charity that works in developing countries where leprosy is still a problem. I have just donated my £10 for this month and have discovered a new charity!

4 comments:

  1. A good book AND your charity donation worked out - that sounds like a win win situation to me! (oh and if you are ever stuck for a charity The Anaphylaxis Campaign is a good one :-D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your charity challenge is really good, and I think its nice choosing a different one each month! Does it have to be a UK charity, as the SPCA here in Malta could use every penny! Cheeky, aint I?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No it doesn't have to be a uk charity and nothing is wrong with being cheeky if you don't ask you don't get! I will add SPCA in Malta as one of my month's donations definitely. I like it being a different charity each month because not only am i giving but i'm also discovering a lot of worthwhile causes I didn't know about. Tempewytch I shall also look into the anaphylaxis campaign for one month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you discovering so many charities. The book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete