Monday 12 October 2009

Cancer Research

I have decided to donate to Cancer Research this month. This is obviously a very common charity and is the biggest one profile wise that I have given to since starting this challenge. The reason I have chosen this one is that it is something quite close to me at the moment.

Last year my Gran died of cancer. It was a fairly sudden thing although she had had cancer in the past. This was obviously a big loss to my family. Last year she was diagnosed with secondary cancer and this is what caused her death shortly afterwards. Last month my parents went to visit my late Gran's husband, Frank (my Grandad died when I was 8 and at 16 my Gran remarried). When my parents got to Frank's he said that he was feeling really unwell and after talking to him my parents decided to call a dr out. The dr came straight out, examined him then sent him straight to the hospital for further tests. It turned out that he had bowel cancer. They have thankfully caught it fairly early on and he had an operation two weeks later. I spoke to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he sounded well. They are hoping that he won't need any more treatment but will know more once he gets some tests done next week. As well as losing my Gran to cancer I have lost an Aunty to it also.

There has been huge progress made over the years in the area of cancer treatment and I think this is fantastic. Cancer is something that effects so many people and I don't think that any charity for the research into treatments and prevention of cancer could ever get too much money! This is why I have chosen Cancer Research for my charity of the month.

1 comment:

  1. Well done and nice choice. As you know bowel cancer is something which has also hit my family, so I totally understand you on this one! Its nice when your donations really really mean something to you.

    ReplyDelete